CAREER TRANSACTIONSAlfonzo Dennard
was drafted by the New England Patriots in the seventh round (224th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft.SEASONAL REVIEWS 2013 (13/9, 2/2)
2012 (10/7, 2/2)
- Intercepted his first pass of the season in the fourth quarter vs. N.Y. Jets (9/12), stopping a drive moving deep into Patriots territory.
- Tied a single-game career high with two defensed passes vs. Tampa Bay (9/22). Also made four tackles.
- Registered a career-high nine tackles vs. Maimi (10/27).
- Was inactive due to injury at Carolina (11/18, at Houston (12/1), and vs Buffalo (12/29).
- Returned to action vs. Indianapolis (1/11) after missing the regular-season finale and had a tallied his first two playof interceptions - one on the first drive of the game he returned 27 yards and set up a touchdown and one late in the fourth quarter to seal the victory. The two interceptions were tied for second-most in franchise playoff history. Also made two tackles and defensed a career-high four passes.
- Initially slowed by injury during training camp but improved throughout his rookie campaign and was inserted into the starting lineup midway through the year, appearing in 10 games and starting seven.
- Compiled 35 tackles and three interceptions, returning one for a touchdown. Also defensed seven passes and forced one fumble.
- Started both playoff games and finished with five tackles and one forced fumble.
- Was inactive for the first four games of the season and was inactive due to injury vs. Miami (12/30) and at Jacksonville (12/23).
- Saw significant time at cornerback vs. Indianapolis (11/18) and intercepted his third pass of the season and returned the pick 87 yards for his first career touchdown. Also made four tackles and defensed two passes.
- Made his first career start at cornerback due to Devin McCourty moving to safety for injury reasons and intercepted his first pass in the overtime win vs. N.Y. Jets (10/21). Also made two tackles.
- Made his pro debut and made one tackle and defensed a pass vs. Denver (10/7). QB Peyton Manning never completed a pass when targeting Dennard in 31-21 win against the Broncos.
- Second-Team All-American (Phil Steele, 2011).
- Third-Team All-American (Yahoo.com, 2011).
- Tatum-Woodson Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year (2011).
- First-Team All-Big Ten (Coaches, Media, ESPN, Yahoo.com, Phil Steele, 2011)
- Nebraska Defensive MVP (2011).
- First-Team All-Big 12 (ESPN.com, Rivals.com, 2010).
- Second-Team All-Big 12 (Coaches, AP, Phil Steele, San Antonio Express-News, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 2010).
- Finished his Nebraska career with 21 career breakups, good for a tie for 10th place on the Nebraska career chart.
- Played an important role in conference opponents completing a Big Ten low 51 percent of their passes, and the Huskers also led the Big Ten by allowing only six passing touchdowns in conference play in 2011.
- Dennard was one of three true freshmen to see action, playing in 12 games in 2008.
- Alfonzo is the son of Rose Mary Dennard and was born on Sept. 9, 1989.
- Majored in sociology.