Donald Thomas was signed by the Patriots as a free agent on September 14, 2011 … Originally was a sixth round draft pick (195th overall) by the Miami Dolphins in the 2008 NFL Draft … Released by Miami (9/4/10) … Signed by Detroit as a free agent (11/23/10) … Released by Detroit (9/3/11) ... Released by the Patriots (11/21/11)... Signed by the Patriots to the 53-man roster (11/23/11).
Donald Thomas was signed by the Patriots as a free agent on September 14, 2011 … Originally was a sixth round draft pick (195th overall) by the Miami Dolphins in the 2008 NFL Draft … Released by Miami (9/4/10) … Signed by Detroit as a free agent (11/23/10) … Released by Detroit (9/3/11) ... Released by the Patriots (11/21/11)... Signed by the Patriots to the 53-man roster (11/23/11).SEASONAL REVIEWS2012 (14/6, 2/0)
2011 (10/1, 0/0)
- Appears mainly on special teams and as a reserve along the offensive line. Also plays right guard in short yardage situations when Dan Connolly shifts to fullback.
- Has made six starts at left guard for the injured Logan Mankins and started one game at right guard in place of an injured Dan Connolly.
- Started at left guard in place of injured Logan Mankins at Miami (12/2), at N.Y. Jets (11/22), vs. Indianapolis (11/18), at St Louis (10/28) and vs. N.Y. Jets (10/21).
- Replaced Dan Connolly at right guard after he left with an injury in the win vs. Buffalo (11/11).
- Started at left guard in place of an injured Logan Mankins on the line that paved the way for two 100-yard rushers and a win at Buffalo (9/30).
- Made his first start of the season at right guard vs. Arizona (9/16) due to an injury to Dan Connolly.
- Replaced Dan Connolly at right guard when he left with an injury an the win at Tennessee (9/9).
2010 (0/0 - Detroit)
- Appeared in 10 games with one start at left guard. Played mainly on special teams, also seeing time in short yardage situations and at fullback.
- Inactive against the N.Y. Giants (2/5).
- Inactive for Patriots’ wins over Baltimore (1/22) and Denver (1/14).
- Saw action in a reserve role against the Bills (1/1).
- Made his first start in a Patriots uniform at left guard in come-from-behind win over the Dolphins (12/24).
- Saw action in a reserve roll including fullback against the Colts (12/4), Redskins (12/11) and Broncos (12/18).
- Saw action in a reserve roll against the Eagles (11/27).
- Was inactive against the Jets (11/13)
- Played in some short yardage packages and on special teams during field goals and extra points against the Cowboys (10/16), Jets (10/9) and Raiders (10/2).
- Saw time in short-yardage situations against Buffalo in his first action in a Patriots uniform (9/25).
- Was active but did not play against the Chargers (9/18).
2009 (16/12 - Miami)
- Went to training camp with Miami but was released on Sept. 4 prior to the start of the regular season.
- Was signed by Detroit on Nov. 23 and was inactive for the final six games of the season.
2008 (1/1 - Miami)
- Played in all 16 games with 12 starts at right guard.
- Anchored an offensive line that that led the way for 239 rushing yards vs. Indianapolis (9/21).
- Helped the Dolphins rush for 250 yards vs. Buffalo (10/4).
- Started the season opener vs. NY Jets (9/7) at right guard before leaving the game with foot injury.
- Was placed on injured reserve on Sept. 9
- Thomas started all four preseason games at right guard.
- Was a four-year letterman at Connecticut (2003, 2005-07).
- Started 13 games as a senior in 2007.
- Named as a first-team All-Big East Conference selection.
- Played in 10 games with two starts as a junior in 2006.
- Began his junior season playing on special teams and at tight end before moving to offensive guard.
- Originally joined the team as a walk-on, playing defensive tackle and end for the scout team in 2003.
- Born Donald Grant Thomas on Sept. 25, 1985 in New Haven, Conn.
- Did not play football in high school.
- Earned a total of eight varsity letters, including four as a center in basketball and four more as a pitcher and first baseman in baseball.
- Member of the National Honor Society.
- Earned a degree in political science.
Donald Thomas found football while playing basketball. A former high school baseball and basketball player who had never played football at any level, Thomas arrived at the University of Connecticut looking for an identity. He often played pickup basketball at the student gymnasium and one day found himself playing with several members of the UConn football team who convinced him to join the team. After meeting with coaches, Thomas walked on to the team as a defensive lineman for the scout team in 2003. He redshirted a year before contributing on special teams. In 2007, he got his chance to play offensive guard, earning All-Big East honors before being selected in the sixth round of the 2008 draft by the Miami Dolphins. As Thomas told the Brockton Enterprise in 2011, “Things just took off. It’s crazy. This is only my fifth year (of) really playing guard, while some guys have been playing O-line for 15, almost 20 years. I’m not trying to brag or anything, but that’s just rare.”