CAREER TRANSACTIONSJamie Collins
was drafted by the New England Patriots in the second round (52nd overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft. SEASONAL REVIEWS 2014 (15/15, 3/3)
- Started at linebacker and played every defensive snap in the Super Bowl XLIX win vs. Seattle (2/1/15), finishing with a team-high eight tackles.
- Started at linebacker in the AFC Championship win vs. Indianapolis (1/18/15) and led the team with four tackles. Intercepted Andrew Luck in the fourth quarter and returned it 25 yards. It was his second career postseason pick, both of which came off Luck.
- Started at linebacker in the AFC Divisional win vs. Baltimore (1/10/15) and led the team with 11 tackles and two passes defensed.
- Started at linebacker, posted five tackles and forced and recovered a fumble on a six-yard sack in the second quarter vs. Buffalo (12/28).
- Started at linebacker, played every defensive snap, posted eight tackles and recorded his second career regular-season interception when he picked off Geno Smith in the third quarter of the win at N.Y. Jets (12/21).
- Blocked a Caleb Sturgis 41-yard field goal attempt that was returned 62 yards for a touchdown by Kyle Arrington in the first quarter of the win vs. Miami (12/14). Also started at linebacker and played every defensive snap, finishing with five tackles.
- Started at linebacker, played every defensive snap and wore the green dot communication device for the first time in his NFL career in the win at San Diego (12/7), finishing with a game-high nine tackles and two sacks. It was his first career two-sack game.
- Started at linebacker and played every defensive snap at Green Bay (11/30), finishing with a game-high 13 tackles, one sack for a six-yard loss and one forced fumble. He strip-sacked Aaron Rodgers in the third quarter for his first career regular-season sack.
- Started at linebacker and played every defensive snap in the win vs. Detroit (11/23), finishing with five tackles.
- Started at linebacker and led the team with eight tackles, including two for a loss, in the win at Indianapolis (11/16). Also forced an Ahmad Bradshaw fumble at the Patriots 9-yard line late in the third quarter.
- Started at linebacker and played every defensive snap in the win vs. Denver (11/2), leading the team with 10 tackles.
- Started at linebacker and led the team with 10 tackles in the win vs. Chicago (10/26).
- Started at linebacker and tied for the team high with 13 tackles in the win vs. N.Y. Jets (10/16).
- Started at linebacker and posted three tackles vs. Cincinnati (10/5). Recovered a fumble forced by Darrelle Revis in the second quarter, leading to a Patriots field goal.
- Started at linebacker and posted seven tackles at Kansas City (9/29).
- Started at linebacker and posted four tackles in the home opener vs. Oakland (9/21).
- Was inactive (thigh) at Minnesota (9/14).
- Started at linebacker in the season opener at Miami (9/7), recording eight tackles and one pass defensed. Also forced a first-quarter fumble in Dolphins territory that was recovered by Jerod Mayo and led to a Patriots field goal.
2013 (16/8, 2/2)
- Appeared in all 16 regular-season games, starting eight and finished with 38 tackles, four passes defensed, one fumble recovery on special teams and 11 special teams tackles.
- Started both playoff contests and compiled 13 tackles, one sack, one interception and defensed two passes.
- Moved into starting linebacker role after Jerod Mayo was placed on injured reserve midseason.
- Played in his first NFL game, appearing mostly on special teams, at Buffalo (9/8).
- Made two special teams tackles and recovered his first career fumble vs. New Orleans (10/13). Collins jumped on the loose ball during the kickoff on the final play of the game to seal the win for the Patriots.
- Made his first career start at linebacker at N.Y. Jets (10/20) and registered five tackles on defense and one special teams tackle.
- Started at linebacker and registered a career-high nine tackles vs. Denver (11/24).
- Started in his first playoff game vs. Indianapolis (1/11) and registered six tackles, his first career sack and a his first career interception and returned it 20 yards to set up a Patriots touchdown.
- His 21 career sacks are the fifth-best total in school history.
- Collins appeared in 52 games for Southern Mississippi, starting 34 contests.
- Recorded 314 tackles (196 solos) with 21 sacks for minus 150 yards, 45 stops for losses totaling 226 yards and 15 quarterback pressures.
- Forced seven fumbles and recovered three others, as he returned two for a total of 29 yards, including a 16-yard touchdown.
- Registered three interceptions, returning two for touchdowns and had 18 passes defensed.
- The road to the NFL was anything but easy for linebacker and 2013 second-round draft pick Jamie Collins. The youngest of five siblings growing up in Quentin, Miss., Collins lost both of his parents when he was six years old and was raised by one of his sisters. Collins turned to football as an outlet to help him through the tough times.
“It means a lot. It’s my living,” Collins told The Boston Herald. “It kept me on track.” Collins’ resiliency in dealing with adversity has made a lasting impact on fellow Mississippi native Stevan Ridley, who grew up 30 miles west of Meadville in Natchez, Miss., and got to know Collins through a family friend.
“What I’ve known about him, he really has been a strong person,” Ridley told The Herald. “Anybody that’s gone through the thing that he’s gone through and still finds a way to be successful on the football field, you have to be mentally tough. That’s what he’s kind of done as a teammate here. He’s come in here and accepted his role and done a pretty good job as a rookie.”
- Born October 20, 1989.
- Attended Franklin County (Miss.) High School, where he first played as a quarterback, receiver and safety before concluding his career as a quarterback and outside linebacker.
- Interdisciplinary Studies major, with an emphasis in Industrial Engineering Technology.