Jermaine Cunningham was drafted by the New England Patriots in the second round (53rd overall) of the 2010 Draft ... Placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury (12/10/11).
Jermaine Cunningham was drafted by the New England Patriots in the second round (53rd overall) of the 2010 Draft ... Placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury (12/10/11).SEASONAL REVIEWS2012 (12/3, 2/0)
- Appears mainly as a reserve at defensive end.
- Started at right end due to an injury to Chandler Jones in the win at the N.Y. Jets (11/22) and had a season-high six tackles.
- Had a sack for a six-yard loss, one tackle and a fumble recovery that led to a Patriots touchdown vs. Buffalo (11/11).
- Started his second straight game at defensive end due to injuries that forced Rob Ninkovich to start at linebacker vs N.Y. Jets (10/21) and made two tackles including a combined ½ sack with Ninkovich in overtime that forced a fumble and sealed win for New England.
- Made his first start of the season at defensive end and compiled two tackles at Seattle (10/14).
- Had two tackles and recovered a key fourth-quarter fumble on the Broncos’ final possession to help seal the win vs. Denver (10/7).
- Accumulated three tackles including one sack for a seven-yard loss in the season-opening win at Tennessee (9/9).
- Placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury on Dec. 10, 2011.
- Played in a reserve role against the Jets (11/13), Chiefs (11/21), Eagles (11/27) and Colts (12/4).
- Was inactive against the Steelers (10/30) and Giants (11/6).
- Played in a reserve role against the Cowboys (10/16).
- Played briefly on defense against the Chargers (9/18), Bills (9/25), Raiders (10/2) and Jets (10/9).
- Was inactive in the season opener against the Dolphins (9/12).
- Played in 15 games with 10 starts. recorded 41 tackles(27 solo), two forced fumbles, and four quarterback hits.
- Made five tackles, including one for a loss, against the Jets (12/6).
- Registered two tackles in a reserve role against the Lions (11/25).
- Made two tackles in a start against the Colts (11/21).
- Started at outside linebacker against the Steelers (11/14).
- Forced a fumble by RB Peyton Hillis in the first quarter, which was recovered by Brandon Meriweather at the New England 36-yard line. Also recorded four tackles against the Browns (11/7)
- Combined with Brandon Spikes to stop Adrian Peterson for a two-yard loss on fourth-and-goal from the one-yard line and made four tackles in a start against the Vikings (10/31).
- In his fourth straight start, tallied three tackles against the Chargers (10/24).
- Recorded his first NFL sack when he forced QB Joe Flacco to fumble early in the second quarter against the Ravens (10/17). Made a career-high seven tackles including a stop of Ray Rice in the backfield for a 3-yard loss in the first quarter, setting up a Ravens third-and-9.
- Started his second straight game, recording two tackles against the Dolphins (10/4).
- Made his first NFL start against the Bills, playing at outside linebacker and registering two tackles (9/26).
- Registered four tackles against the Jets (9/19).
- Played in his first NFL game in the season opener against the Bengals (9/12).
- The three-year starter joined Carlos Dunlap in forming one of the best pass rushing tandems in the Southeastern Conference. It was fitting that both teammates would end their careers ranked tied for tenth in school history with 19.5 quarterback sacks
- Cunningham started 38 of 45 games at Florida, registering 152 tackles (80 solos) with 19.5 sacks for minus 126 yards, 34.0 stops for losses of 162 yards and 11 quarterback pressures
- Recovered one fumble and caused five others
- Returned an interception 18 yards and deflected seven passes
- 2009 (Senior): All-Southeastern Conference second-team selection by the Associated Press and the league's coaches...Member of the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award Watch List...Preseason candidate for the Bronko Nagurski awards...A two-time team captain, Cunningham started 12 games, missing the season opener vs. Charleston Southern with an ankle sprain and the Florida International clash with a shoulder sprain...Also missed some series vs. Arkansas with a groin strain...Recorded 34 tackles and ranked second on the team with seven sacks for minus 42 yards, tied for fourth inthe SEC...His 12 stops for losses of 50 yards led the team and tied for fifth in the conference...Had six quarterback pressures with a fumble recovery and two forced fumbles...Made 37 plays vs. the run, limiting ball carriers to three first downs and minus 4 yards, as he delivered four third-down stops and twice prevented ball carriers from passing the line of scrimmage
- 2008 (Junior): Started 13 of the 14 games he played in at right defensive end...Ranked second on the team with six sacks for minus 44 yards...Also finished second on the squad with 10 stops for losses of 54 yards...Caused a team-high three fumbles (fourth in the league) and registered four quarterback pressures, along with four pass deflections...Led a unit that ranked ninth in the nation in total defense (285.29 ypg) and led the SEC while placing fourth in the country in scoring defense (12.93 ppg)...Served as squad captain
- 2007 (Sophomore): Started all 13 games at right defensive end, as the 229-pound sophomore led the team's down linemen with a career-high 64 tackles (34 solos)...Finished third on the squad with 6.5 sacks for minus 40 yards...Placed third on the team with twelve tackles for losses of 58 yards, helping the Gators rank tenth in the nation and second in the conference in rush defense (103.31 ypg)...Added a QB pressure, three pass deflections and an 18-yard interception return
- 2006 (Freshman): Saw action in seven contests, finishing with two solo tackles...Registered a solo tackle in the win over Western Carolina...Earned time on special teams in the Vanderbilt game
- Saw time on the Gators' punt return squad in the win over Louisiana State
- Played at defensive end in UF's 26-7 win over Kentucky
- Recorded a solo tackle in the Southern Mississippi game.
- Sociology major
- Son of Joan and George Cunningham
- Born Jermaine Alexander Alfred Cunningham on 4/24/88 in Bronx, New York
- Resides in Stone Mountain, Georgia
- Attended Stephenson (Stone Mountain, Ga.) High School
- The team captain led the squad to the state semi-finals as a senior…Averaged 15 tackles per game and registered 25 quarterback sacks that year...As a junior, the linebacker registered 20 sacks.