CAREER TRANSACTIONS Joe Vellano
was signed by the New England Patriots as a rookie free agent on May 3, 2013. SEASONAL REVIEWS 2013 (16/8, 2/0)
- Played in all 16 regular-season games with eight starts and totaled 48 tackles, two sacks, one pass defensed and one fumble recovery.
- Appeared in both playoff contests as a reserve and tallied five tackles and his first career postseason sack.
- Made his first NFL appearance in the season opener at Buffalo (9/8) and contributed two tackles.
- Replaced Vince Wilfork at defensive tackle at Atlanta (9/29) after Wilfork left with an injury and did not return. Finished with three tackles and his first career sack for a 7-yard loss. Started the next eight games in place of Wilfork.
- Made his first career start at defensive tackle at Cincinnati (10/6) and registered four tackles.
- Compiled a career-high nine tackles at N.Y. Jets (10/20).
- Recovered a first-quarter fumble vs. Pittsburgh (11/3), the first of his career.
- Notched his second career sack at Miami (12/15).
- Appeared in his first career playoff game vs. Indianapolis (1/11) and posted one sack to go along with five tackles.
- Played defensive tackle as a sophomore and junior before being moved to end as a senior.
- Was selected as a team captain in 2011 and 2012.
- Was All-ACC First-Team as a senior in 2012 after finishing with 61 total tackles and six sacks.
- Had a career-high of 94 total tackles as a junior in 2011 and was named an All-American and a consensus first team All-ACC choice.
- After redshirting in 2008, played in five games as a reserve in 2009 before earning a starting position as a sophomore in 2010.
- Born Oct. 30, 1988.
- Father, Paul, was a first team Kodak AFCA All-American at Maryland.
- First father-son All-America combo at same school in ACC history.
- Member of the National Honor Society.
- Majored in family science.
- Joe Vellano and his father, Paul, are one of only four father-son duos to be named All-Americans at the same Division I school.
|Paul & Joe Vellano
|Eli & Archie Manning
|Kevin & Drew Butler
|Lee & Travis McGriff
- Vellano’s father, Paul, was drafted in the 14th round of the 1974 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears and played in the World League in 1974 and 1975 for the Florida Blazers in 1974 and then with the San Antonio Wings in 1975 when the franchise relocated there.