Malcolm Butler, 24, began his college career at Hinds (Miss.) Community College in 2011 before transferring to West Alabama for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder was a first-team All-GSC selection as a junior and senior. Butler led the GSC with 18 passes defensed last season.
Malcolm Butler was signed by the New England Patriots as a rookie free agent on May 19, 2014.SEASONAL REVIEWS2014 (11/1)
- Posted four tackles and one special teams stop vs. Buffalo (12/28).
- Made his first NFL start at defensive back in the win vs. Miami (12/14), finishing with two tackles.
- Saw significant playing time as a fourth cornerback in the win vs. Denver (11/2), finishing with four tackles and a pass defensed on a Peyton Manning throw intended for Emmanuel Sanders in the fourth quarter.
- Played as a reserve cornerback and on special teams in the win vs. Chicago (10/26), posting two passes defensed.
- Active, but did not play at Buffalo (10/12).
- Inactive vs. Cincinnati (10/5), vs. N.Y. Jets (10/16), vs. Detroit (11/23) and at Green Bay (11/30).
- Made the team as an undrafted rookie free agent.
- Played around half of all defensive snaps as the third corner at Kansas City (9/29), posting one tackle.
- Played on special teams in the win vs. Oakland (9/21).
- Came in on defense late in the game and posted his first career pass defensed at Minnesota (9/14).
- In his NFL debut at Miami (9/7), saw action on special teams and at cornerback and recorded two tackles.
- Played two seasons at West Alabama after transferring from Hinds (Miss.) Community College. Was a two-time first team All-GSC selection at cornerback as a junior and senior.
- Played in 25 games at West Alabama and compiled 94 tackles, seven interceptions, 27 passes defensed and blocked a field goal. Also returned kickoffs and punts.
- Led the GSC with 18 passes defensed as a senior.
- Intercepted three passes in a game against West Georgia as a junior.
- Born March 2, 1990, in Vicksburg, Miss.
- Son of Deborah Butler and is one of five children.
- Majored in physical education at West Alabama.