Malcolm Butler, 24, began his college career at Hinds (Miss.) Community College in 2011 before transferring to West Alabama for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder was a first-team All-GSC selection as a junior and senior. Butler led the GSC with 18 passes defensed last season.
Malcolm Butler was signed by the New England Patriots as a rookie free agent on May 19, 2014.SEASONAL REVIEWS2014 (11/1, 3/3)
- Sealed the Patriots' 28-24 Super Bowl XLIX win vs. Seattle (2/1/15) by intercepting Russell Wilson's pass intended for Ricardo Lockette in the end zone with 26 seconds left to play. He undercut a slant route, picked off the pass and returned it to the two-yard line. After an encroachment penalty on Seattle, Tom Brady kneeled twice to claim the win in Super Bowl XLIX. It was his first career NFL interception. Two plays before the interception, Butler swatted a deep pass intended for Jermaine Kearse, but Kearse was able to gather the tipped ball before Butler pushed him out of bounds at the five-yard line. Butler led the team with a game-high three passes defensed in just 18 defensive snaps. Also posted three tackles.
- Recorded his first career postseason tackle in the AFC Championship win vs. Indianapolis (1/18/15).
- Made his postseason debut in the AFC Divisional win vs. Baltimore (1/10/15).
- Posted four tackles and one special teams stop vs. Buffalo (12/28).
- Made his first NFL start at defensive back in the win vs. Miami (12/14), finishing with two tackles.
- Saw significant playing time as a fourth cornerback in the win vs. Denver (11/2), finishing with four tackles and a pass defensed on a Peyton Manning throw intended for Emmanuel Sanders in the fourth quarter.
- Played as a reserve cornerback and on special teams in the win vs. Chicago (10/26), posting two passes defensed.
- Active, but did not play at Buffalo (10/12).
- Inactive vs. Cincinnati (10/5), vs. N.Y. Jets (10/16), vs. Detroit (11/23) and at Green Bay (11/30).
- Made the team as an undrafted rookie free agent.
- Played around half of all defensive snaps as the third corner at Kansas City (9/29), posting one tackle.
- Played on special teams in the win vs. Oakland (9/21).
- Came in on defense late in the game and posted his first career pass defensed at Minnesota (9/14).
- In his NFL debut at Miami (9/7), saw action on special teams and at cornerback and recorded two tackles.
- Played two seasons at West Alabama after transferring from Hinds (Miss.) Community College. Was a two-time first team All-GSC selection at cornerback as a junior and senior.
- Played in 25 games at West Alabama and compiled 94 tackles, seven interceptions, 27 passes defensed and blocked a field goal. Also returned kickoffs and punts.
- Led the GSC with 18 passes defensed as a senior.
- Intercepted three passes in a game against West Georgia as a junior.
- Born March 2, 1990, in Vicksburg, Miss.
- Son of Deborah Butler and is one of five children.
- Majored in physical education at West Alabama.