CAREER TRANSACTIONSMatthew Slater
was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fifth round (153rd overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft ... Signed by the Patriots (6/14/08). CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
SEASONAL REVIEWS 2013 (12/0, 2/1)
- Named to three straight Pro Bowls in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Was elected special teams captain by his teammates in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Has played wide receiver, safety and a major role on special teams in his first six NFL seasons.
- Led the team in special teams tackles three straight seasons: 21 in 2010, 17 in 2011, 20 in 2012. Missed four games due to injury in 2013 and still finished second on the team with 14 special teams tackles, just one behind the team leader.
2012 (16/0, 2/0)
- Elected special teams captain by his teammates for the third consecutive season.
- Elected to the Pro Bowl for the third straight year as a special teamer.
- Played in 12 regular-season games and finished second on the team with 14 special teams tackles. Also returned two kickoffs for 10 yards.
- Played in both playoff contests and made one start at wide receiver vs. Indianapolis in the Divisional Playoff (1/11). Led the team with three special teams tackles.
- Was inactive due to injury vs. Tampa Bay (9/22), at Atlanta (9/29), at Cincinnati (10/6) and vs. New Orleans (10/13).
- Returned to action at N.Y. Jets (10/20) after missing four games with an injury and made one special teams tackle.
- Made his first career postseason start at wide receiver vs. Indianapolis (1/11) and notched two special teams tackles.
2011 (16/3, 3/0)
- Played in all 16 regular-season games and both playoff games and led the team with 20 special teams tackles. Also returned two kickoffs for 39 yards (19.5 avg) in the regular season and one for 19 yards in the playoffs.
- Elected special teams captain by his teammates for the second consecutive season. Elected to his second straight Pro Bowl as a special teams player.
- Made three special teams tackles in the win at Miami (12/2), including one on the Dolphins’ first drive when Miami muffed a punt and Slater made the stop deep in the Dolphins territory.
- Appeared in three postseason games, primarily on special teams and made one tackle.
- Played primarily on special teams against the N.Y. Giants (2/5) and Baltimore (1/22).
- Played primarily on special teams and made tackle against Denver (1/14).
- Earned his first career Pro Bowl invitation as a special teams player.
- Was elected captain for the first time by his teammates.
- Appeared in all 16 games and made three starts on defense at safety. Finished with 10 tackles, 17 special teams tackles, one forced fumble and caught one pass for 46 yards on offense.
- Saw action as a reserve in win over the Bills (1/1).
- Saw action as a reserve against the Dolphins (12/24).
- Started his thrid straight game at safety and made one tackle on defense and a season-high four special teams tackles at Denver (12/18).
- Started his second straight game at safety, finishing with one tackle on defense and one special teams tackle in Washington (12/11).
- Was elected captain for the first time by his teammates.
- Made his first career start as a safety on defense, made seven tackles and forced a fumble that the Patriots recovered and led to a touchdown in a win over Indianapolis (12/4).
- Saw action on special teams and as a reserve on offense against the Eagles (11/27).
- Registered one special teams tackle against Kansas City (11/21).
- Made a season-high three special teams tackles against the Jets (11/13).
- Played special teams Giants (11/6), making one tackle and returning one kickoff for 10 yards.
- Played special teams, registering one tackle against the Steelers (10/30).
- Played mainly on special teams in win over the Cowboys (10/16).
- Made one special teams tackle against the Jets (10/9).
- Made one special teams tackle and saw time at wide receiver in Oakland (10/2).
- Recorded one special teams tackle at Buffalo (9/25).
- Made one special teams tackle on a punt to drop the Chargers for a loss of two yards on the return (9/18).
- Recorded his first NFL reception, a 46-yard pass from Tom Brady in the first quarter against the Dolphins. Also made one special teams tackle and returned a kickoff 22 yards (9/12).
2009 (14/0, 1/0)
- Recorded three special teams tackles against the Jets (12/6).
- Played on special teams against the Colts (11/21) and Lions (11/25).
- Made one special teams tackle against the Steelers (11/14).
- Tallied two special teams tackles against the Browns (11/7).
- Was inactive against the Vikings (10/31).
- Saw time on special teams against the Ravens (10/17) and Chargers (10/24).
- Played on special teams against the Dolphins (10/4).
- Saw time at wide receiver as well as on special teams (two tackles) against the Bills (9/26).
- Had two special teams tackles in both the season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals (9/12) and in week two against the Jets (9/19).
- Played in 14 games and finished with 269 kickoff return yards on 11 returns, seven special teams tackles and one rushing attempt for six yards.
- Was inactive for the first two games due to an injury suffered during the preseason.
- Majority of his playing time was on special teams as a kickoff returner and on the kickoff coverage, punt and punt coverage teams.
- Made his 2009 debut vs. Atlanta (9/27).
- Had his first NFL offensive touch at Buffalo (12/20) with a 6-yard gain on an end around in the second quarter.
- Had a career-high 35-yard kickoff return in the regular-season finale at Houston (1/3).
- Played in a reserve role at wide receiver and on special teams coverage units in the postseason game vs. Baltimore (1/10). Had two kickoff returns for 46 yards and one special teams tackle.
- Played in 14 games and was inactive for two contests, while finishing second on the team with 13 special teams tackles as a rookie in 2008.
- Made his NFL debut against Kansas City (9/7).
- Led the team in special teams tackles once (at SEA) and tied for the team lead in special teams tackles twice (vs. KC, at OAK) in 2008.
- Tied for the team lead with two special teams tackles against Kansas City (9/7).
- Made one special teams tackle and returned one kickoff for a 28-yard gain against Denver (10/20).
- Led the team with three special teams tackles, including two solo stops at Seattle (12/7).
- Tied for the team lead with two special teams tackles at Oakland (12/14).
- Saw action at wide receiver, safety and on special teams coverage and return units against Arizona (12/21).
- Played at UCLA for four seasons from 2004-07 after redshirting in 2003.
- In 2007, was named to the first-team All-Pacific-10 conference team as the kick returner and named to SI.com's All-America Team as a kick returner.
- Slater's three touchdowns in 2007 set new UCLA and Pac-10 records for kickoff return touchdowns in a season and a career.
- He tied for the national lead with three touchdowns on kickoff returns in 2007.
- His average of 29.0 is the highest in UCLA history among players with at least 20 kickoff returns in a season.
- He appeared in all 13 games in 2006 and excelled on kick coverage.
- As a reserve wide receiver in 2005, he saw action in two games.
- Matthew Wilson Slater was born the son of Jackie and Annie Slater on September 9, 1985.
- Lettered in football for two seasons at Servite High School in Anaheim, Calif.
- As a senior, he made 39 receptions for 707 yards and five touchdowns.
- A standout performer in track, finishing second (tied) at the CIF State meet in the 100m (10.67) and fourth in the 200m (21.39).
- His father is a former Los Angeles Ram and NFL Hall of Fame offensive lineman.
- Has one brother, David.
- Enjoys participating in Children Ministries with his Church in his spare time.
- In November 2008, helped pass out Thanksgiving food baskets at Morgan Memorial Goodwill Industries in Boston.
- Participated in the 2008 Salvation Army Holiday Party at Gillette Stadium with nearly 250 children from the Boston and Providence Salvation Army centers.
- Was an honor roll student at UCLA and a political science major.
- Matthew has been active in various children's ministries programs at his hometown church and he hopes to pursue seminary study in his post-football career.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Team Captain
- Pro Bowl
- PFWA All-AFC Team (special teams)