Tyler Gaffney, 23, was originally drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft (204th overall) out of Stanford. He was injured in training camp and was released by the Panthers on July 27, 2014. The 6-foot, 220-pounder, had a productive senior season in 2013, starting in all 14 games and finishing with 330 rushing attempts for 1,709 yards and 21 rushing touchdowns. Gaffney played as a true in 2009 and then took the 2012 season off to play professional baseball in the Pittsburgh Pirates minor league system, before returning to college football for the 2013 season.
Tyler Gaffney was claimed off waivers and awarded to the New England Patriots from Carolina on July 28, 2014 ... Originally drafted by Carolina in the sixth round (204th overall) in the 2014 NFL Draft ... Waived by Carolina (7/27/14).SEASONAL REVIEWS2014 (0/0)
- Suffered an injury in training camp while with Carolina and was placed on injured reserve with New England on Aug. 26.
- Played in 49 games with 14 starts at Stanford over four seasons, recording 486 carries for 2,500 yards and 33 touchdowns. Also posted 32 receptions for 264 yards and four touchdowns.
- Started 14 games as a senior in 2013, leading Stanford with 1,709 yards on 330 carries - the second-most yards and carries in school history - en route to earning second-team All-Pac 12 honors.
- Led the conference and ranked fifth in the nation with 21 rushing touchdowns, the third-highest total in Stanford history.
- Recorded nine 100-yard rushing performances, the second most in school history.
- Gained 100-plus-yards in five-straight games, the second-longest streak in Stanford history.
- Earned Pac-12 Championship Game Most Valuable Player honors after rushing for 133 yards and three touchdowns on 22 carries against Arizona State.
- Played in 35 games from 2009-11 in his first three seasons of eligibility before leaving the football team to play minor league baseball in 2012. Returned to Stanford for his senior season in 2013.
- Born April 20, 1991.
- Attended Cathedral Catholic HS in San Diego, Calif.
- Selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 24th round of the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft.
- Played as an outfielder in 38 games for the Pirates’ Class A affiliate in State College, Pa. and recorded a .297 batting average.
- Majored in sociology and psychology at Stanford.